Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: More on Workfare..

More on Workfare.. 2 years 3 months ago #205818

• confused
  • ** Idle Deity **
  • I'll do it tomorrow
  • Thank you received: 63
somewhere theres a thread talking about the dole office's 'workfare' programme, in which unemployed wasters recieving jsa are offered the delightful opportunity to gain work experience by working for free, for the likes of tescos.

here www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2012/ja...ung-people-need-jobs

this woman talks about her 2 weeks sweeping the floor in poundland, and she's trying to take the government the court over this.

as someone with a degree who is trying to pursue a career in museums, she was already volunteering her time at a museum, as well as actively seeking work, anywhere. including retail, for which she already had experience. she says she would be happy the take a paid job in poundland, but her 2 weeks there was neither informative nor paid. but had she not done it her £53 per week jsa would've been stopped.
In a routine appointment with my personal Job Centre Plus adviser last October, I was informed of an open day for people interested in potential retail jobs. Having been unemployed for some time, I was more than happy to attend, and was told by my adviser that, if chosen, I would undergo a week's "training" followed by a guaranteed job interview. It quickly became clear at the open day, however, that the period of "training" would potentially last for up to six weeks. I explained to my adviser my reservations about taking part: I was already in the middle of a work experience placement that I had organised for myself (and which was more relevant to the museum career I hope to pursue), and I already had retail experience.

I thought the "training" was optional, and it came as a shock to be told I was required to attend or risk cancellation or reduction of my £53 per week jobseekers' allowance – despite the fact I have always actively sought paid work. So I began the "placement" with Poundland – it was not training, but two weeks' unpaid work stacking shelves and cleaning floors. I came out with nothing; Poundland gained considerably.

meanwhile at the other side of 'workfare' the government is also shitting on the companies that actually have to set up the placements!

www.guardian.co.uk/society/2012/jan/13/w...e-contract-providers
I work for an organisation that is part of the supply chain delivering the Work Programme. The terms under which we work are dictated by the Department for Work and Pensions contract; there is no variation or choice. ...

DWP will only "pay for results". Even if we, as a supplier of the Work Programme, get a client into work we are not rewarded...

Payment will only be forthcoming after six months of "sustainable employment". The government is expecting charitable organisations like mine to lend money to subsidise a government department....
I have a blog! It's tiny and new, but take a look and say nice things! Thanks.
ladyloafer.wordpress.com/

The ravenous hag awaits...
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: More on Workfare.. 2 years 3 months ago #205839

• Mr Livered
  • I remember quiet evenings, trembling close to you
  • Thank you received: 56
Anybody know how typical this woman's Pondland experience is? Because it sounds like a very dishonest use of words like 'placement' to misrepresent the unpaid work on offer.

In any case, I bet that whoever suggested the idea and its accompanying vocabulary was from the DWP not Poundland.

Still... you've got to love the Grauniad. The same story in the Daily Mail would probably be presented very differently:
Unemployed waster forced to do something useful for a change. Work in a poncy museum? Ha! This is the real world, bitch - take this mop and broom and start contributing to society.
If there’s a future, it won’t be because of big organisations, the church or movements, but tens of thousands of little miracles and little efforts.

Re: More on Workfare.. 2 years 3 months ago #205854

• SleepyJohn
  • ** Idle Deity **
  • All you need is sleep
  • Thank you received: 94
The news story about the young woman forced to work gratis for two weeks in Poundland got some coverage in the free Metro paper (owned by the Daily Mail Group!). The language used did seem to come from the DWP, who said something along the lines of, 'It's ridiculous to expect someone on benefits to sit at home all day and do nothing...' etc.

Complete rubbish. This is all about exploiting people, forcing them into unpaid labour under who knows what conditions. In the case of the Birmingham Irish woman who worked in Poundland, her so-called work experience is hardly going to help her life along.

It certainly helped Poundland get hold of some free labour though. Now they can find some other victim to exploit, rubber stamped by a government department.

Needless to say I never set foot in Poundland. They are SCUM!
"The greatest way to live with honour in this world is to be what we pretend to be."

Re: More on Workfare.. 2 years 2 months ago #206419

Does anyone know at what point the jobcentre can stick you on these 'placements'?

Re: More on Workfare.. 2 years 2 months ago #207396

• Mr Livered
Interesting video on the Grauniad website about the Work Programme:

www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/video/2...me-hidden-jobs-video

John Harris goes to a place called Warrington and speaks to the people running the Work Programme. It's basically a building full of happy smiling people talking about the deluge of jobs out there. One woman is boasting about the fact that she's a single mother who works full-time (glad it makes you feel smug but I wonder how your kids feel about that). She concedes that there are no vacancies advertised, but says that jobseekers should spend their entire day trudging around trying to convince employers to create a post just for them.

The video then goes on to demonstrate what a load of gubbins that is.

Some interesting comments too, such as
The work programme or aka work for no pay is a travesty.

I personally know a fifty-six year old man who worked at Tesco for 40 hrs a week for 6 weeks for no pay. He said he was given the worst job, constantly filling freezers in the hope he would be taken on. After the 6 weeks were up the manager asked him if he would like to stay on for some extra weeks, my friend asked "with pay"? The manager said why would he pay him when he can pick the phone up and get more unemployed people who have to work for nothing of face sanctions meaning loss of ALL benefits for up to three years!

My friend wasn't alone, he was part of twelve extra staff taken on to cover the xmas rush, no one was given a job at the end of the xmas period.

He told me they had all worked really hard and were gutted they were abused in such a way. The worst was one day he had to throw out lots of food one day over the use by date. He asked the manager if he could take some home as he was having to eat more due to being active all day. The manager refused saying if he gave him free food he wouldn't come through the front door and buy it!

I swear I will never shop at Tesco ever again.
The real bottom line is, a modern welfare state should consider human dignity as well as economics.
If there’s a future, it won’t be because of big organisations, the church or movements, but tens of thousands of little miracles and little efforts.

Re: More on Workfare.. 2 years 2 months ago #207398

I will cover this in a post later but as an American Idler I will say if you take government help ,the dole or in the US social services help, you have to accept the government rules.
I would love to work more, but I'm adverse to the loss of my own personal liberty at the hours I would waste working.

Re: More on Workfare.. 2 years 2 months ago #207487

• Chinny
  • Sing. Dance. Dream. Live. Love. Laugh.
  • Thank you received: 42
...After the 6 weeks were up the manager asked him if he would like to stay on for some extra weeks, my friend asked "with pay"? The manager said why would he pay him when he can pick the phone up and get more unemployed people who have to work for nothing of face sanctions meaning loss of ALL benefits for up to three years!

Says it all really. Corrupt.

This video gives some interesting information. Basically it is saying that declining to give the provider consent to share your details with any third parties will not get you into trouble with the Job Centre (or having sanctions imposed on you etc), but also means the provider won't be able to claim their fees when you do eventually get a job.

We're flat broke, but hey, we do it in style

Re: More on Workfare.. 2 years 2 months ago #207488

• Mr Livered
That is very interesting. Everyone on the dole should know about that.

Re: More on Workfare.. 2 years 2 months ago #207491

• Mr.E.C.R.Lorac
  • NOW ONLINE
  • aka Edith of Clang and The Edith Islands(come for a paddle ,the water's lovely at this time of year)
  • Thank you received: 101
LibertarianInAmerica wrote:
I will cover this in a post later but as an American Idler I will say if you take government help ,the dole or in the US social services help, you have to accept the government rules.

As black and white as your avatar LA...

Do you vote LA? Perhaps you do and perhaps you don't but if you do and your choice won does that mean you accept everything your government now does? After all you voted for them.

If there's one thing we can all agree on it's that we can all agree to disagree about the one thing we all agree on...

Re: More on Workfare.. 2 years 2 months ago #207492

• bigrichardc
  • Very Idle Person
  • Thank you received: 8
LibertarianInAmerica wrote:

I don't think that this is the real issue here, I'm sure that the policy makers that came up with the idea had the best of intentions. Some people want to work and have all the trinkets that go with that but don't have any experience to get the on the first rung of a career and for some people doing relevant work for free (not saying its right) is a way of doing this. The problem for me here is that huge companies are taking advantage of the scheme for their own profit.
Idlers in the Chatroom: