Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: The speed of time

The speed of time 4 years 8 months ago #119463

  • dharmabum
  • dharmabum's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Respect!
  • Loafe with me on the grass
  • Posts: 3576
  • Thank you received: 16
How quickly does time pass for you? Remember how six week summer holidays used to seem to last forever? Interesting Radio 4 program about our perception of time and how it changes as we age.

www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00p2cbz
Last Edit: 4 years 8 months ago by dharmabum.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:The speed of time 4 years 8 months ago #119465

  • confused
  • confused's Avatar
  • NOW ONLINE
  • ** Idle Deity **
  • I'll do it tomorrow
  • Posts: 8426
  • Thank you received: 116
i read an article recently about time perception that was interesting. let me think where..?



edit. can't find it. but it was along the lines of, people with 'faulty' brains can percieve time differently to everyone else. children with ADHD and schizophrenics and so on.
I have a blog! It's tiny and new, but take a look and say nice things! Thanks.
ladyloafer.wordpress.com/

The ravenous hag awaits...
Last Edit: 4 years 8 months ago by confused.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:The speed of time 4 years 8 months ago #119466

  • Harpo
  • Harpo's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • ** Idle Deity **
  • Repeat after me: "I am free"
  • Posts: 6240
  • Thank you received: 38
It varies according to how much we write in our diaries. I filled a 200-page book between September 1988 and October 1989, and the events of that time still featured greatly in my memory - because I can read all about it, and reading it brings the actual memories flooding back. I remember more about that year-and-a-bit than I do about the following five years.
I think I'll start keeping a diary again B)
Murakami-hun wrote:
thank you Harpo, you're the last sane man in the northern hemisphere
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:The speed of time 4 years 8 months ago #119473

  • Sock Puppet
  • Sock Puppet's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Respect!
  • Posts: 2133
  • Thank you received: 23
Ah Time: Pink Floyd say it best i think. Well, sing it best anyway.

I'd post a link but..
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:The speed of time 4 years 8 months ago #119476

  • dharmabum
  • dharmabum's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Respect!
  • Loafe with me on the grass
  • Posts: 3576
  • Thank you received: 16
One of the conclusions from the program is that a childs perception of time is slower than an adults due to the fact that they are more engaged with the world. Less blase or numbed by the familiarity of it all. We "grown ups" act as if watching the same film over and over and over again. We need to watch a different film, but instead get stuck in the rut of routine - work, family etc. We need more new experiences. And we need to fully engage ourselves in what we do. It reminded me of the idea of 'mindfulness' that Buddhism and other Eastern philosophies talk of. Being in the moment. Not living for the future or thinking too much about the past. Here and now - like a child.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:The speed of time 4 years 8 months ago #119477

  • SleepyJohn
  • SleepyJohn's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • ** Idle Deity **
  • All you need is sleep
  • Posts: 13969
  • Thank you received: 110
Sock Puppet wrote:
Ah Time: Pink Floyd say it best i think. Well, sing it best anyway.

I'd post a link but..
...but you'd rather let me do it instead.

"The greatest way to live with honour in this world is to be what we pretend to be."
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:The speed of time 4 years 8 months ago #119485

  • jetsetjason
  • jetsetjason's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Respect!
  • Posts: 2791
  • Thank you received: 52
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:The speed of time 4 years 8 months ago #119489

  • hitchtom
  • hitchtom's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • ** Idle Deity **
  • Alarm Clocks Kill Dreams
  • Posts: 8990
dharmabum wrote:
One of the conclusions from the program is that a childs perception of time is slower than an adults due to the fact that they are more engaged with the world. Less blase or numbed by the familiarity of it all. We "grown ups" act as if watching the same film over and over and over again. We need to watch a different film, but instead get stuck in the rut of routine - work, family etc. We need more new experiences. And we need to fully engage ourselves in what we do. It reminded me of the idea of 'mindfulness' that Buddhism and other Eastern philosophies talk of. Being in the moment. Not living for the future or thinking too much about the past. Here and now - like a child.

Interesting Dharma. Perhaps that is why so many of us started taking drugs in our teens, because it allowed us to regain a bit of that "in the moment" awareness, and perhaps hang on to that wonderful aspect of childhood just a little bit longer.

One of the reasons I meditate now is to calm down and focus my somewhat ADHD brain with its sometimes marginal ability to pay attention to anything in a sustained manner. In this I am only somewhat successful. However I have found that our move to this rural part of Maine has made it just a wee bit easier to be here in the moment.
There is nothing, abolutely nothing, half so worth doing as simply messing around in boats
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:The speed of time 4 years 8 months ago #119490

  • Sock Puppet
  • Sock Puppet's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Respect!
  • Posts: 2133
  • Thank you received: 23
SleepyJohn wrote:
Sock Puppet wrote:
Ah Time: Pink Floyd say it best i think. Well, sing it best anyway.

I'd post a link but..
...but you'd rather let me do it instead.

Merci. I dont think ive actually listened to Dark Side of the Moon for a decade or more. Must put it on.

<realises the ex nicked it>
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:The speed of time 4 years 8 months ago #119495

  • Harpo
  • Harpo's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • ** Idle Deity **
  • Repeat after me: "I am free"
  • Posts: 6240
  • Thank you received: 38
Murakami-hun wrote:
thank you Harpo, you're the last sane man in the northern hemisphere
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Idlers in the Chatroom: