Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Best Places to live during an economic collapse?

Best Places to live during an economic collapse? 4 years 1 month ago #146574

• Torstoise
  • Respect!
  • Thank you received: 36
After reading this blog article called "When You Should Not Adapt in Place", which discusses when, why, and where people should adapt a place during the economic collapse, I started to contemplate if I should stay where I am, and if not, where should I go. The ten main reasons why people shouldn't adapt in place include the following:

1. If you have an ARM and can't reset it, are already facing foreclosure or have no reason to believe you'll be able to pay for your house.

2. If you have young children or are elderly and have close ties somewhere but are living far away from them in a community that you are not invested in.

3. If you have children or parents you need to care for far away.

4. If you live in an extreme climate, likely to become more extreme with climate change, but you are not particularly and unusually well adapted to it.

5. If you live among people with lousy values.

6. If you don't think your children (and by your children, I mean the children in your family, even if they aren't your own) have a future where you are.

7. If you plan to move anyway.

8. If you aren't prepared to live in the place you live as its culture demands.

9. If you live in a outer suburban housing development, particularly a fairly new one.

10. If you are native to another place.

The author does goes into greater detail about each bullet point.

In a world where resources are becoming scarcer and economic opportunities are dwindling, where do you think the best places are to live?
Last Edit: 4 years 1 month ago by Torstoise.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Best Places to live during an economic collapse 4 years 1 month ago #146580

• Tinker Dill
  • Respect!
  • Oh pull the other one!
  • Thank you received: 5
Anywhere with little to no overhead and enough room for a garden,chickens, a pig and a goat.
I'm a firm believer in GOD...Growing Old Disgracefully

Re:Best Places to live during an economic collapse 4 years 1 month ago #146591

• Torstoise
  • Respect!
Just hope the hordes of bandits don't hoard your livestock and food.

Re:Best Places to live during an economic collapse 4 years 1 month ago #146596

• Lemsip
  • ** Idle Deity **
  • Thank you received: 2
This is an American website and most outer suburbs are around 5 to 10 miles from city centres unless you're in London which case it would be 15 miles yet still close to amenities because outer London is made up of villages and small towns that have expanded into each other.

Re:Best Places to live during an economic collapse 4 years 1 month ago #146599

• Torstoise
  • Respect!
Lemsip wrote:
This is an American website and most outer suburbs are around 5 to 10 miles from city centres unless you're in London which case it would be 15 miles yet still close to amenities because outer London is made up of villages and small towns that have expanded into each other.

Yeah, many of our suburbs are highly car-oriented and really spread out. Whoever are responsible for the proliferation of poor urban planning should be mauled by tigers. These car-oriented suburbs are supposed to represent the "American Dream", "freedom", "demand of the people", "the free-market" etc. To speak against such development and to suggest better urban planning methods would lead to yells of communism! and infringing upon inalienable God-given rights. You're not free if you are stranded without a car. You are not free if bus service is highly limited and walking to the store involves traversing along highways with cars traveling at 45 mph +. You are not free if the vast majority of development is highly car-oriented and very few choices of well-planned cities exist. I'm fucking sick of this sick nation called the United States of America; land of the free[ks], home of the brave [new world].

The social DNA of America is full of mutant genes that engender destructive behavior. From fluoridated drinking water, to having the highest legal drinking age in the world (21), to circumcision being the norm, to having the highest prison population per capita, to having the fattest people, to having the highest homicide rate in the developed world, to being the only developed nation without universal healthcare (many "developing nations" even have better healthcare), to having lots of chemicals and toxins sold in foods and products (many which are banned in other nations), on and on, this nation is just insanely self-destructively sick and tumorous. But all destructive characteristics of the US I have mentioned are accepted and just "business as usual". If the UK is a Nanny State, the US is a malevolent tyrannical step mother that hates your guts and takes immense pleasure in seeing you suffer a very slow and painful death state. She also watches your every move and harshly disciplines you for the most minor infractions (drinking in public or Jay walking can land you in jail in the US!)

Having said that, I don't think the US will be a good place to be as the economy tanks even further. I'd like to emigrate to Canada, but I didn't score high enough in the self-assessment immigration test to emigrate there.

Re:Best Places to live during an economic collapse 4 years 1 month ago #146601

• Lemsip
  • ** Idle Deity **
  • Thank you received: 2
And the UK is catching up fast. Don't agree with raising the drinking age to 21 as kids will take street drugs instead. 18 is a good age and it must be enforced more strictly than it was in my day.

Re:Best Places to live during an economic collapse 4 years 1 month ago #146602

Sailboat with 12 months' supply of lentils, gets my vote. :)

Re:Best Places to live during an economic collapse 4 years 1 month ago #146604

• Torstoise
  • Respect!
BezovecsHappyTwin wrote:
Sailboat with 12 months' supply of lentils, gets my vote. :)
I've thought about living on a docked boat, but the costs of owning and maintaining one are really high.

Re:Best Places to live during an economic collapse 4 years 1 month ago #146605

Well, yes, but following the hypothetical economic collapse the "cost of owning" becomes free - for the taker. ;)

Incidentally, has anyone here read Jared Diamond's book, "Collapse"? Fascinating. And we're all doomed, eventually.

Re:Best Places to live during an economic collapse 4 years 1 month ago #146607

• dogondoor
  • Respect!
  • Cheddar on toast
  • Thank you received: 13
Economic collapse is a bit vague.
"To sleep , perchance to dream." Please feel awkwardly obliged to visit www.myspace.com/theskywardpilots

Thank you.
  • Page:
Idlers in the Chatroom: