Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: TV recommends

Re: TV recommends 2 years 9 months ago #204513

Here's another Queen's speech. Of course you won't understand a bit of what she's saying, but I thought it was nice to post it anyway. Also with some shots of my hometown The Hague (Queen Beatrix also lives here). There was a bit of a row about it, because it was quite political - and not so much in line with our current government. A lot about sustainability, protection of nature, 'immaterial values that give meaning to civilization', and a more conscious way of living. Quite good actually.

As it is not a merit to become unmusical, so it is not wise to turn against refinement.(Hazrat Inayat Khan)
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: TV recommends 2 years 8 months ago #208136

• Mr Livered
  • I remember quiet evenings, trembling close to you
  • Thank you received: 63
Here's something I might watch tonight: America's homeless resort to tent cities.

It's a poverty on a disastrous scale in the richest country on earth: one and a half million American children now homeless.

This is the country which others follow in implementing the market economy, and with it the lie that if the economy is unfettered by regulation then wealth will trickle down and everything in the garden will be rosy.

Not all homeless people are unemployed; there are apparently many who have a job, but it's not enough to pay the rent. And there's apparently no help for them?

BBC1 at 8:30 and iplayer thereafter.
If there’s a future, it won’t be because of big organisations, the church or movements, but tens of thousands of little miracles and little efforts.

Re: TV recommends 2 years 8 months ago #208977

• shadygrove
  • Oracle of Idleness
  • Two fools in love so beautiful and strong
  • Thank you received: 14
This one is rather ironic considering!

Re: TV recommends 2 years 7 months ago #210100

• Harpo
  • NOW ONLINE
  • ** Idle Deity **
  • Repeat after me: "I am free"
  • Thank you received: 44
I know one of the families in this programme, which is on tonight:
www.itv.com/presscentre/mydadisawoman/week09/default.html
Murakami-hun wrote:
thank you Harpo, you're the last sane man in the northern hemisphere

Re: TV recommends 2 years 7 months ago #211900

• confused
  • ** Idle Deity **
  • I'll do it tomorrow
  • Thank you received: 147
watched this on telly last night www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01dpnx5/R...eland_with_a_Fridge/
Tony Hawks wakes up one morning to find he has accepted a drunken bet to hitchhike around Ireland with a fridge within one calendar month. The document was signed. The bet was made. The adventure begins. A comedy road trip, based on Hawks's bestselling book. A true story... with a few fibs.

rather oddly, tony hawks* plays himself, even though its a fictionalised version of his book. its quite amusing little film, not much happens, but theres lots of lovely irish countryside to look at. check it out B)

*tony hawks comedian and writer, rather than tony hawks famous skateboarder. but wouldn't that be awesome if it was tony hawks famous skateboarder playing tony hawks fridge man?? :silly:
I have a blog! It's tiny and new, but take a look and say nice things! Thanks.
ladyloafer.wordpress.com/

www.pinterest.com/ladyloafer/

The ravenous hag awaits...

Re: TV recommends 2 years 4 months ago #219802

• 9DaysDead
  • ** Idle Deity **
  • Well behaved women rarely make history
  • Thank you received: 2
I'm loving the new series Punk Britannia on the BBC. Tonight's episode is about post-punk, featuring so many of my favourite bands. Catch it on iPlayer if you can!
One's destination is never a place, but a new way of seeing things. ~Henry Miller

Re: TV recommends 2 years 4 months ago #219804

• wanderer
  • Very Idle Person
  • Thank you received: 9
Really enjoyed this too,i was 13 at the time.I still get excited when i hear the opening of Anarchy There's an hour of performances up 'til Monday,there was a 2.5 hour version,even i had to break this in 2.
Human Being, Not Doing

Re: TV recommends 2 years 4 months ago #219813

9DaysDead wrote:
I'm loving the new series Punk Britannia on the BBC. Tonight's episode is about post-punk, featuring so many of my favourite bands. Catch it on iPlayer if you can!

Last night's episode was the best by far. What a fertile period for music and action it was. 'PiL - 'Second Edition' and Crass live. The 80's hold such dark fond memories.

The 70's was a helter skelter rush, the 80's the comedown.
Disclaimer: The author reserves the right not to use emoticons or exclamation marks. May contain irony.

Re: TV recommends 1 year 10 months ago #231171

• Mr Livered
  • I remember quiet evenings, trembling close to you
  • Thank you received: 63
ITV is to celebrate 30 years of its children's programming by screening classic TV shows for two days next month.

Programmes including Rainbow, Super Gran, Press Gang, The Raggy Dolls and Children's Ward will all be broadcast.

Digital channel CITV will clear its schedule on 5 and 6 January to screen almost nine hours of old favourites each day.

ITV1 will also air a documentary to celebrate the 30th anniversary.

Other popular shows to be screened include Count Duckula, Art Attack, The Tomorrow People, Puddle Lane and Rosie & Jim.
www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-20780372

:woohoo:

I have a feeling that might be something for Confused?

(I might tune in too)
If there’s a future, it won’t be because of big organisations, the church or movements, but tens of thousands of little miracles and little efforts.

Re: TV recommends 1 year 10 months ago #231173

• Bear
  • ** Idle Deity **
  • Person of Clutter
  • Thank you received: 45
I like the sound of that too. Some classics there.
"Speak to me only with your eyes. It is to you I give this tune. "
Idlers in the Chatroom: